Friday, March 13, 2009

The Blue in Hebrew

The Blue is a Hebrew book from yesterday!

Here's what my lovely Hebrew editor Hadas Matas told me by email: 'I'm proud to tell you the book is ready. It is planned to be in the shops in two weeks – before Passover.'

Hadas and I have been emailing each other for two-and-a-half months now discussing phrases like 'touch of the tar brush' and exploring the words for whales in a culture which isn't familiar with whales. Her emails dropped in on me in the hot Wairarapa in January, in the middle of a Canadian winter, in the streets of NYC and Washington, and back again in Wellington. In the process we've become friends.

For those who can read Hebrew, here's the Aggas Press website. I can only look at it and marvel. The translator was Vered Tochterman. The publisher is Sharon Greenberg.

Thanks to everyone at Aggas for the way they've embraced The Blue. Especially Vered for her skills, Hadas for her keen eye and her personal warmth and encouragement, and Sharon for wanting the book and finding me (roll down the post on the student writers and read the comment underneath.).

I am thrilled.

6 comments:

Vanda Symon said...

Congratulations Mary! That must be so exciting. When do you get your copies to pat and cry over?

I like feeding your fish.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Looks amazing! I must say, I'm jealous that you had so much contact with your translator. None of mine have ever been in touch with me.

I'm sure this is just the first of many.

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov to you Mary

( and as for your other detective work question, I shall keep you posted....)

Anonymous said...

Great news Mary, can't imagine that many NZ titles have made it into Hebrew. Well done xx

Anonymous said...

Is that the cover? It looks beautiful. How extraordinary to have your book translated into Hebrew
and it adds to the "journey" that you started with photos of your book all over the world.
Congratulations

Harvey Molloy said...

Congratulations Mary. Not only is this a success for you, you are also helping to raise interest in Israel for contemporary NZ lit. Great work!